Referee Certification, Recertification and Training
Refereeing is an excellent way to make money while staying involved in the sport you love. Referees are needed for both Recreation and Travel soccer at all age levels. In order to referee in WWPSA or any other town, you must be licensed as follows:
- Go to http://www.njrefs.com to learn more about becoming a referee and additional details about the courses including a list of course dates and also online registration for the courses.
In addition you need to maintain your referee license by completing a recertification course every year between November and February.
All the above courses are held by the NJ Referee Committee.
Referees are expected to purchase their own referee kit (uniform and equipment). Each referee should have the following items:
- A referee shirt (we recommend the long sleeve yellow shirt for when it gets colder)
- A current referee (Grade 9, Grade 8 or higher) badge
- Black Shorts
- Black Socks
- Shoes (we recommend cleat type shoes so you don't slip on the field, predominately black in color is best)
- Whistle (you should have more than one)
- Yellow and Red Cards
- Game Card Holder
- Game Cards (you can print out our game card form and cut them out)
- Assistant Referee Flags
- Pencil / Pen (you should have more than one)
- Coin (heads / tails for starting the game)
The referee association recommends buying these items from http://www.officialsports.com. Their starter kits especially the 11 piece start kits are good value if you are buying for the first time. There are also many other stores and online sites where you can purchase soccer referee kit.
Newly Certified Referee Reimbursement:
Once a newly qualified referee has worked at least 5 weeks, 10 games and atleast 5 games as a center referee with WWPSA Recreation in the same season, upon submitting proof of payment in the form of a receipt, canceled check or online credit card order confirmation, you will be reimbursed up to a maximum of:
Please send your certification payment receipt in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have re-certified for the current year and work at least five WWPSA Recreational games as the Center Referee in a single season (Spring or Fall), WWPSA will reimburse the recertification fee.
Note: This reimbursement is once per certification year. If you were reimbursemed in Spring, you won't be reimbursemed in Fall again.
Please send your recertification payment receipt in an email to email@example.com.